4.23.2005

Thoughts on Integral Education


Mike asks:
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF AN INTEGRAL EDUCATION??

WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE AND WHAT IS OUR END VISION REALLY LOOK LIKE??

When I sink into your questions, I find myself looking at the pathway from purpose, vision, theory --> to actualizing. What arises looks like my picture of what Integral Education is.

I see purpose, vision and theory as shining orbs of electric energy spinning in the foreground of my awareness. They invite my time and attention, they charge my enthusiasm and passion, inspiring me to feed them with ‘doing’ and ‘action’. They are like my North Star, as I sail through the seas of reality, I stay focused on them, they are my guiding lights, it is imperative that I keep them in my awareness, that I stay aligned with their intentions.

When I move out of the dreaming and planning stages of development, however, these guiding lights remain illuminate and they recede to the background. My foreground is that which is unfolding before me, around me. My foreground is what is actually happening and occurring in the relative world in which I am interacting. I recognize that which is, harmonize with the inner and outer environment, and strive to unify with it in order to be a part of the greatest good and fullest potential (moving forward).

This is how I see Integral Education. As educators, as human beings in reverence to learning- unfolding wholeness (purpose), we walk into a moment with our eyes wide open, receiving that which IS before us. We recognize another for who they are in this very moment and we hold in our awareness the highest light, the greatest potential we see for them... for our shared space (vision). We use our various theories as tools to help us best facilitate a narrowing of the gap between What Is and Highest Potential. Theory guides us in accessing greater possibilities and potentials and offers us suggestions as to how to bring those to life.

We use or unique and special talents to embrace and support one another, trusting all along in the capacity to succeed and encouraging unfolding wholes. We assist in integration of the various parts that make up the whole. We accentuate areas that are strong and encourage further development in areas that are weak. We model how they all weave together, we model integral integrity and thus in our very being inspire integral education.


I really appreciate these quotes from Parker Palmer, they sing to me. I would be interested in expanding upon the web of communal relationships and how imperative that social component is in education and knowing reality.

Quote:
“Truth is an eternal conversation about things that matter, conducted with passion and discipline."

so as educators, we find out what matters to people and tend to the “dirt”... “soil”, creating environments where conversations conducted with passion and discipline (limits and boundaries) unfurl effortlessly, spontaneously.

Powered by Blogger